Tuesday, October 23, 2012

A quick evening note:

My older son will be getting married the Saturday after Thanksgiving. He has waited many years for this opportunity. He has a lovely fiance--any mother's dream girl for her son. And, finally, we are getting close to the big day.

No young man has ever so much enjoyed the very idea of wedding planning as he does. It has been quite trying to him to relinquish most of it to his fiance and her mother. But one thing is left for him to plan and it is for us to do. Or, is it for me to do, but he has the plan?

I was out running errands when he first called. He began the conversation, charmingly, by telling me what his plans were--making his suggestions for the rehearsal dinner menu--but at the same time telling me that we needed to talk about it. I stopped by Head Country B-B-Q to pick up my dog's favorite dinner. I treat him every now and then, so dinner tonight was a huge brisket sandwich of the quality that is hard to find and then, for sure, only in the South. The conversation continued while I ordered and waited for my sandwich. The young man that waited on me pantomimed his questions. He smiled as I drove away.

I managed to drive home, mobile phone held to my ear. And then to get dinner, dog, back-bag and phone, still held to my ear, all in the door and make my way over doggy gates (yes, with the dog) and through doorways to my study. I revved up the computer and waited a good half an hour while the conversation meandered through other territory before returning to the subject of the rehearsal dinner.

Once, when we were momentarily disconnected, I managed to get my sandwich out of the carton and arrange the meat on the bread. The call resumed, I set the sandwich aside, and we talked too long. After quite a few minutes, I heard a happy yip a few feet behind me and looked to see my expectant little dog who could no longer restrain himself in the hope of half that luscious brisket. Normally he has such good manners. But, I must say, I loved seeing his enthusiasm as he has been generally under the weather for the last few weeks.

Finally, my son managed to pull himself back to the subject at hand. He ordered me to open a notebook and take notes. I finally found the menu that is available on line and we spent the next forty minutes selecting exactly what he had suggested in the first five minutes of the conversation a good two hours previous.

Gosh, I love my kids! Even that furry little thing that is curled up on his doggy bed sleeping off too much beef brisket.

2 comments:

Norma said...

I hope your future DIL loves long drawn out introspective chats! Or the food will get cold. Have a wonderful time at the wedding.

Annie said...

Thank you so much, Norma! I do already know that my future DiL has a very warm and friendly kitchen and is all about tea and cookies. The conversation is great, too!