Monday, April 02, 2007

It is rather nice, I thought.

I sat in the car and gazed out the window at the broken clouds above. They were still an aggravating dark gray, but blue sky burst brightly through every opening. I can think again. My brain isn't functioning as well as usual yet. In fact, I am not even in the clear as far as my health is concerned, but I am improving. My vision is improving too. The interesting thing about that is that my glasses seem to make my vision worse now.

Day before yesterday I could remember things. I could even regret my lack of forsight in leaving my notebook at home when I left for the two hour trip to Sapulpa to drop Ike off for his drum and bugle corp camp. I had thoughts and memories that were worth jotting down for later contemplation and expansion. Yesterday, on the trip to retrieve Ike, for the first time in a very long time I was contemplating faith in a way that I haven't in close to a year. I bored my husband with my thoughts. I even told him that it was a shame I didn't have my notebook because I knew that the inspiration would be gone before I arrived home.

I had a friend once. He was one of my first Internet friends and he was a writer. He had developed terrible allergies that made life impossible, as it turned out. This had happened overnight, so to speak. Life had been good for himself and his family, he had a good job and they were building a dream vacation home--and then with the first attack everything went down the tubes. He could no longer work. His illness required a change of environment to the dry desert southwest. They had to sell their nice home and they bought a camper rig. From then on they made their meager living as campground hosts. Then one day he had an asthma attack. It galls me to think that what stood between himself and life was the lack of a decent vehicle to get him to the hospital. When he finally got to a medical care facility it was too late.

The Internet is an amazing and wonderful thing. Isn't it? And so I met Colin and I will remember him as long as I live. I enjoyed his writing so much. He had a great sense of humor and I would jump at a chance to purchase his novel. Sadly, I don't think that it was ever finished. He sent chapters to me and shared it as it grew. Even though he was trailer-bound, so to speak, he did get some articles published in a hunting magazine. What an imagination!

Well, I have found out that my makeup is contaminated with whatever this is. It contaminates everything moist. It could well be airborne. I won't know if it is the water for at least another week.

Last Monday I very carefully followed the exact instructions for taking the water sample. I don't mind telling the truth here at all. I took it down to the UPS Store. I explained to them that it was a water sample and had to arrive at the lab within 20 hours. I asked them for their best recommendation for getting it there on time. I had to pay not only for overnight shipping, but a special fee for rush delivery and the total came to $50.00. That was over and above the $20.00 fee for the lab itself. Saturday, when I picked up my mail, the lab had sent another vial and a rejection slip. They had not received the sample until Wednesday. Two days! Two days to get it to a city I could drive to in two hours. So for $70.00 and a week of waiting for an answer, I have nothing. Plus I have this misery of living in less than ideal circumstances at more than normal expense because I don't have a refrigerator and I have no washing facilities.

My time horizon expands. Life is abnormal and uncomfortable. I hate to bore any readers that may find my blog, but it is currently a fixation of mine.

No comments: