Thursday, May 17, 2007

A new appreciation for mold:

****If you have come here on a search for symptoms or observations I have recorded here, I have learned so much since it was originally published. I can tell when somebody Googles, but I have no idea who Googled. ;) Do leave any questions that you may have and if I know the answers, I'd be delighted to help you. In the last two days one person wanted to know if mold can be crystal like. Yes. Yeasts and possibly histoplasmosis which becomes a true yeast once it is established in the lungs. And yesterday somebody wanted to know about eyes. I have three spots in my left eye. So please do ask because I've had to figure out so much on my own! Wikipedia is also a great help.***

I have arrived at a new level of awareness of the capabilities of our hidden enemy. I realized I must be there when I began contemplating the number of mold spores per square inch in the refrigerator. My refrigerator may never be dirty again. Others opening my refrigerator door may be assaulted by a wave of the odor of chlorine. If it is possible for foods to absorb it, my cooking may take on a characteristic hint of chlorine.

Well, actually, this may be true for my whole house now. Chlorine is the enemy of my enemy and it is now my best friend.

New rules for the fridge: Nothing moist may remain in it for more than one week. Even so, all moist foods should be contained in airtight containers. No more green fuzzies in my fridge!

Seriously, mold spores are always present in air--all air. That means in the accumulated dust that settles on everything, there are a good number of mold spores that are ready to grab at any moisture. Opportunistic little nasties! I realize now that I used to have quite a number of bad housekeeping habits. I thought I knew the truth about my dirt! I had no idea. New rule: No moisture anywhere! No damp towels, no drying wash cloths, no water standing under a soap dispenser, no damp dirty clothes (this was always a rule but now it will be enforced without mercy). The plumber will roll his eyes when he hears I've called again. I'll freak for a leak! Dusting and vacuuming will take on a new intensity around here. Any spec of dust may contain within it one of those dreaded mold spores.

I went to see what my choices are in disinfectants. Time and again, I saw "Kills flu virus!" plastered across the front of the bottle or can. My response? It ought to say, "Kills mold spores!" I guess that a great many people are mistaken and place the priority on getting rid of bacteria. If only they knew that bacteria aren't the real germies. Products that I used to think of as disinfectants will no longer be found under my kitchen sink.

Otherwise, I'm thoroughly occupied these days with helping get Ike ready to go to drum and bugle corps. The list of things to do to prepare for him to be gone for three months is as long as my arm. I'm writing lists and checking them repeatedly.

2 comments:

Jim said...

"Green fuzzies in the fridge"...makes me think of our own. Eating out a lot and hardly ever completing all that they serve, we end up with several boxes of something stored in that location that usually just sit there, then, until sooner or later, in trying to remember waht might be within one, we open it up and wish we hadn't......

Annie said...

lol

It has happened to me altogether too often. Something is always slipping into the darkest, most crowded corner and hiding there until it is beyond recognition.