Wednesday, November 28, 2007

Loneliness:

It is that time of the year that causes immense suffering for those who are lonely. Which makes me think of what I am called to do by Christ. I am called to love even those who are difficult to love, the least among us.

A few weeks ago I participated in a conversation about this very thing, if you will. The question asked was, "I know I am called to love my neighbor, but do I have to like her?" The consensus in the group was, "No. You have to love her, but you don't have to like her." And with that answer the intent was that this person need not associate with her annoying friend, need not include her in her group, etc.--in short, shun her.

Who am I to buck the group? I'm one small voice. The norm of the group is to allow that a person has some deep-seated personality flaws and she is difficult to have around, she does some socially irresponsible things and hurts people in the process and so--even though only God would know it--we love her (how?) but exclude her. Note, this isn't a person who is intentionally abusive. She probably hasn't got a clue what others don't like about her. She isn't socially adept. I, on the other hand, think that if I am loving toward my neighbor, then my neighbor knows it. Far be it from me to be very judgmental, truth be told, so my voice wasn't very loud. But like so many other ways we don't do the hard things we are called to do, loving the least among us is a biggy we'd rather forgive in ourselves and avoid rather than change.

There are lonely people that I am not taking care of at this time and so guilt is contributing as much to my silence in the group as the outcry against my better judgment. But self-examination leaves me with the burden of doing something about my unloving and un-Christlike burden. I do have to love the people that are difficult to love. From the opposite side of the same street, I realize that I am hurt by the people who don't seem to find me to be a lovable, worthwhile person. I know that I am not deserving of their unloving behavior! ;) So, who am I to do the same thing to somebody else?

When my children were growing up, they were normal. It hurt them to be normal. At about age thirteen or so, the painful truth that they were not among the most popular kids in the school caused untold misery. I especially had to give my eldest child several pep talks on the subject. In every school, indeed in every place we go in life, there will be the few, the pacesetters, the top dogs, the few at the top of the heap. But the vast majority of us have to endure being average: somewhat liked, often disliked; sometimes agreed with, often disagreed with; sometimes respected and often reviled; sometimes included, often excluded; sometimes noticed, often overlooked. There is only room at the top for two or three and the second tier are their favored inner-circle, beyond that are all the rest of us.

What makes a person popular? Is it their intelligence? No . . . I know some totally intelligent people that are dreadful to be around. Is it that they always say and do the right things? No . . . I've seen popular people say and do dreadful things. In short, I've never figured out any reason for them to be popular that they did intentionally. It seems to be more like . . . an accident of birth. It is more like being born with a certain skin color, or into a wealthy home, or artistically talented, or mathematically inclined. But I must say that being socially adept and popular is good for the self-esteem.

Yesterday I wrote about Thanksgiving and family. Families are a case in point! We get tossed together with some of the strangest people! There are definitely people in every family that are a pain. We have to look deep for their worthiness to love, ignore a lot of bad behavior, brush aside past hurts and sit at the same table.

My point isn't so much that there are unpopular people as it is that some people are more difficult to like, more distant and hard to get to know than others, shy and uninclined to speak up and so go unnoticed. For a myriad of reasons, the lonely are among us. In the first example, the woman in question was bossy.

While running an errand and thinking on this subject, I remembered a man I once knew. He was rude, never curbed his tongue, critical of everybody--a real bear! I hated to be anywhere near him and I usually did avoid him. We worked together at the children's home. But let me tell you, when one of those kids was in some sort of trouble or in need, he would move earth and sky to take care of them. That rough exterior was hiding a heart as big as all outdoors! In the long run, I would say that he is one of the best people that I have ever known. He wasn't a bear! He was a huge grumpy teddy-bear!

I've been thinking a lot about Anne Lamott's book, Grace (Eventually). I suffer a sense of guilt because most of my religious counterparts read more meaty theological works. But what Anne is dealing with is the grit of Grace--the living out of faith. It is the most complex theology of all! How do we live out our faith. I don't recall a single meaty theological discussion that dealt with loving the least among us, even those who are difficult to love.

In this book she tells about a woman's husband who has some deep personality flaws and was, shall I say, to be avoided if possible. I gather he'd corner Anne and talk her ear off on some subject ad infinitum. But Anne's friend, who was fighting cancer, was struggling through a heat wave and suffering. Her husband bought an A/C--spur of the moment with funds saved for a vacation. He courted his wife's anger, he defied her wishes--all because he loved her and loved her life. It was grace, I gather, for Anne to see in him something worth loving and to appreciate the fact that he loved her friend.

I hold that every person has both good and not so good--shall I say bad?--personality traits, but all are lovable if we just find what it is that is lovable about them. And it is harder to find love for some than it is for others. I also hold that we are all children of God and we are all called to love each other. And loving does mean that the object of our love knows they are loved. So, loving the least among us, loving even those who are difficult to love, does actually include loving those we don't like. It may not mean that we must be with them day in and day out or include them in all our activities, but it should mean that we tolerate even those who annoy us, that we greet them in such a friendly way that they feel loved and welcomed when they come our way; that we forgive them for their stupidity; it may mean that we allow them to approach us and talk to us at a party and it may mean that we are willing to speak to them, pick up the phone, if they call. It may mean that we are so open to them that if they whispered their pain, we would hear it.

2 comments:

Jim said...

It is a part of life we all face, Annie. Love is an "action" verb, but can mean no more than learning to look within, look beyond, and do our best to understand each of us is but a product of our past and a piece of the other guy's "now". Good post, ma'am.........

Annie said...

Thank you so much, Jim! I was worried about the silence. ;)

And, yes, love is an action verb.